building emotional strength and political clarity for collective liberation -
Online Course with White Awake
Facilitators: Eleanor Hancock and David Dean
Feb 24, March 3, March 17, and March 24
5-7pm ET (2-4pm PT)
Sliding scale $75-125 fee for course
No one turned away for lack of funds
Molly Brown and Molly Arthur have taken courses with White Awake and highly recommend their work! Join us for this next course.
“One of the problems that most afflicts this country is that white people don’t know who they are or where they come from.” – James Baldwin
Roots Deeper Than Whiteness is an online course for people socially classified as white who seek greater emotional resilience and political understanding in their work against racism and for a better future for all.
The course centers the hidden histories of how our ancestors’ ethnic identities and liberatory politics were replaced with a false “white” racial identity designed to turn them against their allies of color and make them compliant with the agenda of the ruling class. Through reflection and embodied exercises, we will work together to replace feelings of shame or reactivity to the discussion of racism with resilience and memory of our ancestral stories. From this rooted place, the course will support participants in developing action plans to integrate this learning and healing into their work for social change.
This workshop is designed to help you:
- Reduce shame as it relates to white guilt and/or reactivity around the topic of race and racism
- Gain historical knowledge and political analysis that illuminates the role “white” people have been groomed to play in society at large, and helps you carefully choose a different path
- Develop deeper love, acceptance, and understanding of yourself and your ancestors, while gaining greater capacity to face the role white people have played in causing harm
- Learn tools for resourcing yourself that can help you stay healthy and engaged in social change, and increase your capacity for effective alliances with indigenous people and folks of color
- Develop an action plan that builds on the work of this class to support your engagement in social movements for collective liberation.
Click here to register on our site
Sessions will be recorded. Live attendance is not mandatory
San Francisco, CA
Google map and directions